It seemed impossible even just six months ago and yet the Salone del Mobile 2022 , the sixtieth edition of the world's most important furniture fair, will return to the same as ever, starting with the numbers: almost 200,000 square meters of net surface area exhibition area and almost 2,100 exhibitors with 25% (excluding SaloneSatellite) of foreign companies.
After the parenthesis of the Supersalone, in fact, the most important furniture companies ( find them all here) return to occupy all 24 pavilions of Rho Fiera.
What we will see at the Salone del Mobile 2022
There are 7 scheduled events for the Salone del Mobile 2022:
- the with its three subdivisions in Classic , Design , xLux
- the dedicated to excellent objects, with a focus on novelties, style and trends
- , with proposals increasingly focused on comfort and well-being but now also on sustainability, efficiency and savings
- , a multisectoral space, a business to business platform dedicated to design products and decorative and technical solutions for interior design
- 600 talents under 35 , this year for the first time positioned in the first two halls of the fair.
What will be discussed at the Salone del Mobile 2022
Great space will be given to talks, whose Talk format has already been successfully tested at the Supersalone. For the 60th edition two proposals are planned, one by Salone del Mobile.Milano and the other by the Salone Satellite.
The Talks of Salone del Mobile.Milano
The Talks of Salone del Mobile.Milano take place in the Design With Nature arena (in Pavilion 15 of S.Project) and are curated by Maria Cristina Didero, Beatrice Leanza and Chiara Alessi .
- Wednesday 8 June , 4 pm, SUSTAINABILITY: THREE DIFFERENT EPISODES curated by Maria Cristina Didero with Victoria Siddall, Daan Roosegaarde, Eva Feldkamp | Victoria Siddall will illustrate the work of the Gallery Climate Coalition which aims to identify and implement environmental sustainability guidelines for the art sector: the goal is to favor a reduction of carbon emissions in the sector by at least 50% by 2030, promoting a effective decarbonisation action through system and innovation. Daan Roosegaarde will talk about innovation and technological art: his aim is to speed up the process of spreading social projects to help save the planet and improve life in urban spaces. Driven by the belief that the world is in great need of change, Eva Feldkamp will explain how to generate creative opportunities with a positive social and environmental impact: her mission is, in fact, to design a system that connects creatives to charities,non-profit organizations and the public sector.
- Friday 10 June , 4 pm, RADICAL NATURE - THE DESIGN AND SCIENCE OF WORLDBUILDING curated by Beatrice Leanza with Marjan van Aubel, Anab Jain, Liam Young | The pioneering work of Liam Young, exponent of speculative architecture and director, of Anab Jain, critical designer and co-founder of the Superflux studio, and of solar designer Marjan van Aubel - the three guests who will give the lecture - paved the way for various forms of collaborative research in which design, science and fiction come together to analyze the interconnection between themes, ranging from automation to energy democracy, and thus imagine fair and sustainable future scenarios.
- Saturday 11 June , 3 pm, THE TRUE IMAGINARY STORY OF THE SALONE DEL MOBILE, with Makkox and Chiara Alessi | In a duet organized over decades, through the most significant episodes from its foundation in 1961 to today, we will retrace the fundamental stages of the most important event in the world linked to design. Protagonists, facts, places, images and of course objects, chosen and told by Chiara Alessi and reworked in a cartoonistic key by Makkox's imagination, will mark the time of memory and elegy.
The Talks of the Salone Satellite 2022
The program of meetings developed by Marva Griffin Wilshire , founder and curator of the SaloneSatellite, will be held in the Arena in Hall 3. Here is the calendar:
- Wednesday 8 June , 11.30 am, DESIGNING FOR OUR FUTURE SELVES / DESIGNING FOR OUR TOMORROW, with Yves Béhar who, through an account of his projects, will explain how to change and improve lifestyles, individual and collective existences and practices to achieve a new sustainable balance
- Thursday 9 June , 11.30 am, THERE WILL ALWAYS BE A DESIGN EMERGENCY, with Paola Antonelli and Alice Rawsthorn: the two authors and critics (who have a book out on May 25 entitled Design Emergency) will explain how designers are facing complex challenges in every field, trying to make our lives safer, healthier, fun, productive and inclusive
- Friday 10 June , 11.30 am, with Franco Lisi and Alberto Apostoli
- Sunday 12 June , 11.00 with Mario Cucinella, Founder and President SOS (and others): The SOS School of Sustainability Foundation, together with Mario Cucinella Architects, invites a presentation of the projects carried out for the academic year 2021-23 and to tell news and visions for the future.
- June 7-12 , GREEN GRADS, a 25-minute film, a special British initiative to promote new talent and care for the planet.
The Design With Nature installation by Mario Cucinella
The installation " Design with Nature " will be hosted by S.Project (Hall 15): a project developed together with the architect Mario Cucinella , who thinks about the themes of the circular economy and reuse , starting from the idea that the city is the possible "reserve" of the future , where to find most of the raw materials useful for construction.
Three are the themes of which the installation is the bearer: the ecological transition, the house as the first urban piece and the city like a mine , spread over a large surface that becomes a landscape and, at the same time, a refuge for dialogue, sharing, reading, reflecting, working.
All the materials that make up the installation will be reused in projects already defined, according to a perspective of total circularity.