For the first time in its over 90 years of history, Tabu launches a contest: an ideas competition for university students and designers under 40.
Tabu is an example of Italian excellence in the dyeing of wood, with headquarters in Cantù (CO), producing natural dyed and multilaminar veneers for interior decorating and architecture, as well as collections of decorative wood surfaces based on dyeing technologies and intense research on materials and production processes.
IdeasXwood is the most important international contest of its kind in the wood sector, a project with a forceful focus on education aimed at promoting knowledge of wood and its utilization as a noble, living and renewable raw material, through controlled forestry practices to ensure its availability to future generations.
The annual competition is supported by ADI – Associazione per il disegno industriale, FederlegnoArredo and FSC Italia, in partnership with Accademia di Brera, NABA Nuova Accademia di design, POLI.design, as well as collaboration with IED – Istituto Europeo del Design. A network of ongoing relationships with Italian and foreign universities becomes the structural framework of the Student section.
The 1st Design Contest ideasXwood 2018/2019 focuses on the design of:
• Geometric, organic or combined patterns for the making of:
1. multilaminar veneers in the 650×3060 mm format;
2. industrial inlays (such as the Graffiti Collection by Tabu), both on dyed natural veneers and multilaminar veneers – or in free combination – for the production of panels in the format 1260×3060 mm;
3. three-dimensional surfaces (ex. the Groovy Collection by Tabu), made with the embossed relief or bas-relief techniques, for the production of 1260×3060 mm panels.
• Artifacts, furniture, objects or decor complements made with Tabu surfaces from the 555.18 collection or developed as outlined above.
The deadline for submission of projects is 15 April 2019; the materials can be uploaded in a dedicated section of the website www.ideasxwood.it. Projects can be submitted by individuals or groups.
The winners of the Student and Professional categories will be announced on 8 May 2019 at the Triennale in Milan.
The jury chaired by the architect Franco Raggi will be composed of 16 members, including: Alfonso Femia, Ambrogio Rossari, Diego Florian, Francesco Scullica, Piergiorgio Cazzaniga, Roberta Busnelli, Roberto Tamborini, Sebastiano Cerullo, Stefano Pujatti.
The winners of each of the categories will be offered a chance to take part in a workshop in a prestigious design studio located in the United States or Asia. The winners will also have the option of converting the prize into an award of €5000.
Honorable mentions will also be assigned, with the possibility of a contract with Tabu if the associated designs are inserted in the company’s collections.
For information and registration: www.ideasxwood.it